My kids love crackers and I spend far too much time at the shops trying to work out which ones have the least salt, numbers etc. Today I made my own with 5 ingredients and they where a huge hit!! As a bonus you can cut them to what ever shape you want to suit your party theme!!
Whole Wheat Crackers
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp Cold butter, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 3-4 Tbsp water
- Add the flour and salt to a food processor and pulse. Then add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add grated cheese a little at a time and pulse.
- Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms into a ball. Continue pulsing between tablespoons - this could take a minute. You can also feel the dough and if it shapes into a ball, it is ready.
- Flatten between two pieces of wax or freezer paper, and chill for 10-20 minutes. This helps the butter get cold and makes for a puffier cracker.
- Roll the dough fairly thin. About 1/8 of an inch is a good thickness. More thin = crispier, but you don't want it paper thin.
- Cut out shapes and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (170c) for 12-20 minutes depending on how thick your crackers are.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
|Yield||75 small crackers|
PS I added the seeds on top!